With age, your body undergoes changes. Your body does not function as efficiently like how it use to when you were younger, so it is extremely important to do what it takes to be fit and healthy as you grow old. Below are some health tips to help baby boomers remain healthy and active throughout their lifetime.
- Have good medical insurance, such as aarp medicare supplement plans 2019 is essential.
- Maintain a healthy body weight: It is crucial to maintain a healthy body weight as you grow old, this is because your body makeup changes. If you do not engage yourself in daily physical activity, your body may burn few calories a day. Therefore, as you age, it is important to eat “nutrient dense” food that are low in calories to prevent weight gain. Being obese or overweight can increase the risk of suffering from bone issues, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Eat healthy: As you age, your body needs nutrient dense low calories food to complement the change in your body’s makeup. Along with regular physical activity, having nutritious meals throughout the day can help you stay fit and healthy.
It is advised to have these nutrient rich foods listed below:
- Vegetables and fruits
- Brown rice, wheat bread and whole grains
- Low fat or fat free cheese and milk
- Beans and nuts
People aged 65 and above are advised not to have food that provide few nutrients and are high in calories, like these:
- Pasta, rice and white bread
- Desserts and sweetened drinks
- Regular physical activity: Physical activity is important to maintain a healthy body at any age. Regular physical activity can improve your body’s flexibility, maintain balance and strength for doing daily activities. In certain cases, it is difficult to engage in physical activity if your mobility is limited, but try to find exercises that can meet your needs. Older adults can do many physical activities, such as yoga, water aerobics, aerobic exercise to help them maintain a healthy body weight, stay away from illness and feel better. Being fit and healthy promotes cardiovascular health in people of all ages.
- Stay away from stress: Managing stress is extremely important in older adults, because stress is considered to be the leading cause for many health issues such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes. Try to use relaxation techniques such as yoga or do regular exercise to cope up with stress.